Monday, December 05, 2005

NY Yarn Crawl

I missed the inaugural yarn crawl of the Wednesday Night Knitters, which happened in September, and visited shops in and around Fairfield County, CT. On Saturday I was around for the second Crawl, which visited Lower Manhattan (anything north of 42nd Street is for a future trip). Actually, we didn't really hit even most of the lower Manhattan stores, because we skipped Downtown Yarns and the Union Square area.

Now, it is an accepted fact that I don't really need any yarn, right? But hey, what's a yarn crawl without some yarn coming home? So I tried to keep it under control, and did pretty well.

First, after arriving at GTC and heading downtown on the Lexington Line subway, we went to Seaport Yarns. This shop is one of my LYS's because I work in the financial district. I try not to go too often, though, because it would be too easy to be buying constantly. I had planned to pick up a book there, filled in my Brittany dpn's a little, and fell victim to a Cherry Tree Hill "Potluck" - over 1600 yards of beautiful worsted wool in shades of blue, dark gray and plum. Since Adam has been hinting pretty strongly for a sweater, and I haven't a clue as to what to get him for his birthday which is in the middle of January - I'll wrap up the yarn at whatever stage it is in by 1/15, and give it to him. All of the Wednesday night crowd were amazed at the amount of yarn in this store, and at Andrea's amazing memory of where everything is!

Postponing lunch, we moved on to Purl in SoHo, by cab now because we were all carrying bags. Purl was really crowded, but most of us managed to get around enough to do some damage to our wallets. This was helped by the 40% off sale bin, which yielded laceweight cashmere (none left when we were done), some "messy" skeins of Koigu (ditto on leaving any) and a bunch of Lobster Pot in blues, greens, salmons, and pinks. We did leave some of the Lobster Pot. I was pretty good, buying only sale Koigu and Cashmere. I also went through the "free to take" pattern box, resulting in some nice additions to my pattern library.

A late lunch at Jane, a bistro on Houston that had good food, a slightly trendy atmosphere, and great prices. We were treated to a plate of Pumpkin Spiced Doughnut Holes, served with Chocolate and Cranberry sauces - I am thinking of making some of these at home over the holidays. Really good!

Our last stop was the Yarn Connection on Madison at 36th, and we again found sales and great yarns. It's always nice to see different things at the various stores, and there are always some good sale finds at Yarn Connection. It was there that I found Dale Freestyle superwash for a couple of baby sweaters, some beautiful handpainted sock yarn by Cheryl, and the 4" ebony glove dpns that I am currently collecting in various sizes.

We had planned on going to see the tree, but because of the extreme crowds, opted to head north for home instead. It was a great day, and the yarns and the company was all wonderful.

Next Yarn Crawl? We're undecided, but think that in March we'll either head north into the Hudson Valley, or go back to Manhattan for the Upper Manhattan stores. We're in no real rush to decide right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

The Yarn Crawl sounds delightful. It also sounds as tho' a good time was had by all - plus good food & yummy, tasty end-of-meal treats.
Over the years I have figured this out about you: you are a magnet for a good sale & for good purchases & you have terrific shopping karma.
There are many things I love about you & you can add these to my ever-growing list.
XOXO

8:56 AM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Amie said...

SHHEEEEEEEEE LLLLAAAAAAAAA!

Where AAAAAAAAAREEEEE YOOOOOOOOOOUUUU??????


(okay, I've creeped out the cats by muttering that as I typed, so you HAVE to post now...)

2:21 PM, January 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home