Thursday, May 28, 2009

Aaarrgghh!

It has never happened to me before, honestly. Yesterday I had a marathon plying session, so this morning I was happily washing up 8 skeins of yarn, and when I took them out of the soaking water - one had come pretty much completely untied. Yes, I had shortcut a bit and only tied it in 2 places, with the ends of the yarn, but the square knots seemed to have just melted in the water.

I lifted it out carefully once I realized what had happened, squeezed the water out, and carefully laid it on a shelf in my drying cabinet. I'll try Darlene's Never-Fail-If-You-Don't-Get-Impatient-And-Rush-It untangling method, learned at GGFI last year once it's dry. Luckily it's from some spun-long-ago singles in an autumnal colorway, so if the yarn gets a little "used" looking I won't mourn too much. If it had been one of the Tactile Finn laceweight skeins I would be much less philosophical about it.

Lesson learned - ALWAYS use at least one waste yarn tie when preparing for washing or dyeing!

On a more personal frustrating note - I've developed lactose intolerance, which is really limiting to me as I've been a big dairy foods fan all of my life. Yogurt is my standard breakfast, cottage cheese a frequent lunch, and fresh cheeses like ricotta used in a lot of recipes. I'm trying to see which hard cheeses I can eat, and cream cheese seems okay, but even goat's milk is a no-go. I've not found any lactose-free yogurt, and have tried making my own with lactose-free milk but even though it works beautifully, it still causes a reaction. Hopefully I'll adjust to this before long!

Also on a frustrating food note, my second breakfast staple, Oroweat Health Nut English Muffins, have been discontinued by the manufacturer. In combination with no yogurt, this has seriously impacted my morning routine. I've had better luck dealing with this, though - I've started making my own english muffins in a reasonable facsimile, and they're very good. I can fork-split and freeze them, and pop them in the toaster oven in the morning. So there, Oroweat! (who didn't respond to my email to them expressing my unhappiness in a very polite way)

Hopefully, photos of finished yarn and finished knitting in the next post.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi!

I hope you are the right person. I purchased a pattern from the MD Sheep and Wool fest, and I have a ? on the pattern. Did you design the flower petal shawl for spirit trail yarns?

Heather

12:27 PM, May 28, 2009  
Blogger PNWBookGirl said...

We were talking about lactose intolerance after you left this afternoon. Chris mentioned that there is some coconut milk yogurt available but that its a little spendy. Can't remember what store she said it can be found in though.

Good luck with the yarn.

12:51 AM, May 30, 2009  
Blogger Ann said...

Funny, I had the exact same knot failure just a few weeks ago. I even posted about it. Patience and don't tug.

I am also lactose intolerant, but I found a few tricks that still allows me to have dairy products.

1. Whole milk. I know, totally counter intuitive. But they add milk powders to low and non-fat milk to give it the mouth feel. Unfortunately, that also adds lactose. So, low and non-fat milk products have more lactose than whole milk. Who knew?

2. Homemade yogurt with long incubation period. Most commercial yogurts are made with speed in mind, so they hurry up the incubation period, sometimes as little as 3 hours. I always let my yogurt incubate for at least 8 hours. By that time, most of the lactose has been broken down by the cultures. And yes, I make mine with whole milk too.

3. If that fails, try to make your own kefir. I found that homemade kefir, let sit for 24 hours, has little to no lactose remaining.

I've gotten to the point where I can tolerate a whole milk latte, but my system protests rather loudly :) to a skinny latte.

6:20 PM, May 30, 2009  
Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

Sweet Shelia,

Good luck w/ change for you re lactose intolerance. A lot of folks have it & how good that there's so much info out there about it.

XOXO

6:53 PM, May 31, 2009  
Blogger Lanea said...

I'm so sorry about the lactose intolerance! No fun at all.

10:12 AM, June 05, 2009  
Blogger Mia said...

As a life long suffer of lactose intolerance., it does take figuring out what works for you. I am surprised though that you can't tolerate the goat's milk yogurt. I can tolerate it. I can tolerate the Greek style yogurts but I don't eat it more than once a week. I can tolerate the Brown Cow whole milk cream style yogurt as well. I eat that for breakfast during the summer with museli and fresh blackberries.

Whole milk is tolerable, Yep strange but it is. I buy a whole milk with cream in it at my local coop. I still have to be careful but I can tolerate it. What I buy is from a local dairy but you should be able to find some locally.

And I tried some sheep's milk cheese at MDS&W. Talking to the cheesemakers, I was told that I want to look for aged cheeses. Cheese that has been aged past 60 days has no lactose left. The cheese bacteria eat the lactose which is a sugar.

And I am finding that the sorbet flavors are way better now than they used to be.

Try playing around with making your own yogurt. And you can make your own soymilk and yogurt as well. I know the mouth feel is different but you can retrain your taste buds.

10:29 AM, May 10, 2010  
Anonymous Thoryke said...

Are you sure that it's lactose that you've become intolerant to? If you've had such regular exposure to dairy foods, that seems odd. Worth going to your MD to have things checked out....

2:22 PM, April 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home