Monday, March 27, 2006

Self-Indulgent Fiber Weekend

I did pretty much exactly what I planned this weekend - I had a Saturday all to myself (Adam was at a conference) and I stayed in sweats all day, read, knit and spun, ordered Chinese take-out delivery, read, knit and spun some more, and watched Little Women and Calendar Girls on DVD. It was my birthday, and I had a really great time!
And this is what I spun, though I finished spinning and plyed it on Sunday. It's 4 oz. of superwash merino, dyed in periwinkle and rose by Jen of Spirit Trail, which when done had become 440 yards of 17 wpi sock yarn. When I have a nice hand-painted top or roving, one of my favorite ways to spin it is to split the entire length in two, then spin a bobbin from each half, then ply together. This usually results in softly changing colors that match up as much or more than they barberpole. I find that when I just spin from the roving or top, the colors get more blended than I like as I draft, so I also separate each color section as I spin, allowing less intermingling of the colors. This particular top was spun worsted style and 2 plied.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! Sound like an almost ideal way to enjoy it. I love the blue yarn -- it's like the sky on a summer morning.

7:56 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Larry said...

Well, Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate. And the yarn looks terrific. The color is luxe and the spinning is wonderful. There's gonna be some great socks soon!

9:24 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Bess said...

Oh I have a similar color scheme but I'm using a drop spindle to spin it - again, into sock yarn.

I have had such fun with that fiber. I hope mine turns out as lovely as yours. yum!

2:39 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

Hon,
Happy b'day again ^..^
Your special day sounds like a charmer of a b'day.
Gorgeous yarn - the color is wonderous.
Look forward to being able to spin my STF fiber too.
XOXO

5:50 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Amie said...

Oh, gorgeous - it's just glowing!

And a happy birthday to you - sounds like it was a nice one!

7:30 AM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

7:10 PM, January 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home