Monday, April 03, 2006

Too Much (is this possible?) Spinning

I think I overdid it this weekend.

Friday was an opera night - boy, am I going to miss New York opera availability when I move! I need to remember to check on a subscription to whatever Portland has and I guess that a good thing is that it will undoubtedly be less expensive!

I didn't get home until 1am, and I need to leave my house at 7am to drive to Enfield, CT for the Nutmeg Spinning Guild meetings, which are the first Saturdays in February, April, June, October, and December. I was SO tempted to skip this one, until I remembered that it might be my last. So I got up at 6, pulled myself, my Gem, a lunch, and some spinning supplies together and was out of the house by 7:10am. And I do love my iPod, because I had a great book to pop in and listen to on the 1 hour 45 minute drive (The Game by Laurie R. King, for any of you who are mystery fans).

A nice time at guild, with an interesting program on solar dyeing by Jeannie Bakridges from Vermont. She will be teaching at SOAR this year, so it was nice to meet her before I have to send in choices. I spun, listened, and chatted with friends until about 3pm, then headed for home.

The spinning I took was some periwinklish purple wool/mohair from Buckwheat Bridge Angoras that I bought 2 pounds of at a TKGA market a couple of years ago. Over a couple of months back then I spun up and plied a couple of bobbins, decided that it was nice spun woolen long draw, then got intimidated by the amount left to spin and put it away. I took it to the Maine Spa in February, and spun up another couple of skeins. So when I was hurrying to put together spinning stuff on Saturday morning, it was with the Gem so I took it along and filled about 3/4 of a bobbin.

I spun some more Saturday night, finishing that bobbin and starting another. Got up and began spinning on Sunday morning, progressing to more bobbins, and started plying in the afternoon. Plied until about 9:30, though I had taken breaks all day for meals, computer time, cooking, etc. And at the end of the weekend, this is what I had:
Over 1100 yards of DK weight 2-ply yarn. When I find the skeins that were done before, I think I'll have about 1600-1700 yards to play with. A sweater's worth!
BUT, I woke up this morning with aching arms, aching enough that I took a couple of Advils before I took my shower. I still have twinges, and I think I've deduced that it is probably from spinning long draw on a double treadle wheel while sitting on the sofa, but it was worth it. Maybe I'll knit the sweater this fall.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

Holy cow, girl! All those poor naked dizzy sheep!!!


Okay, I see that you have the blogring stuff, but ring surf doesn't so I'm battling it out right now and hope to be able to officially welcome you soon....

9:56 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Shelia said...

Thanks! I checked this am and I am on the ring list, so it seems that it should be working, unless I messed something up.

10:46 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Bess said...

Whoee! that is some spinning, girl. Beautiful color and beautiful wool. I see a delicious sweater in your future.

2:17 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger SOAR Staff said...

I saw your post on KR. Have you been over to the SOAR blog yet to check it out? If you have any questions feel free to contact us!

3:23 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Suzanne said...

That yarn is beautiful. You really did get a lot done. The fiber was so pretty and you were spinning away on Saturday. I am actually planning to get my wheel out in the next few weeks and put it back in the den so I can spin occasionally.

6:46 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Marfa's Mewsings said...

Sweets,
Hope your arms are feeling better.
What a creative, fun & productive week-end you had. Love the yarn & love the color of it too.
XOXO

9:59 AM, April 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home